Are you looking for specific information such as Halal food in Brisbane, where to shop until you drop, and cooking ala Brisbane, key-in any word that you think relevant in the search box:

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Craving for Sushi

(forewarn, this entry is long. make sure you are not in distress before reading this entry :p)

Ever since my first taste of sushi (read my first attempt on eating sushi here, thank you very much to my friend Sabrina for introducing me to Hanaichi), I am getting fond of it, especially Hanaichi's (as if I have tried other different sushi restaurant!!). I even introduced sushi to atang, and also to kak Su (a research colleague). But to go there often is a no no, because, 1 plate of sushi will cost you between $3.30 to $7.00. Only occassionally OK laa.

On the 11th of April, we wanted to have sushi for lunch. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed because of the Easter holiday. A notice on the front door read that the restaurant will be closed for several days. So, takde rezeki la we all that day, and we were a bit dissappointed (especially atang huhu). We went to Azra Kebab for pizza instead (tu namenya rezeki pizza :D).

Anyway, last Saturday we went again to Hanaichi (dah name pun craving kan...hehe). We were supposed to meet mael and family at the restaurant, but they couldn't come early. We, on the other hand couldn't wait for them, for the parking fee is expensive in the city ($9 per hour). Usually we would circle around the block to find a space, but this time I told atang, since I need to buy some groceries at Coles (a supermarket) in the Myer Centre (a shopping mall in the city), why not we just park at the paid parking area. And because we were chasing the time (planned to not exceed 3 hours, that will cost us $16), we told mael that we will start first. Owhh mael and family was our latest mangsa in this sushi introductory (should ask for commission from Hanaichi huh!! or at least discount LOL).

And so, let fulfillin the need of having sushi (is there a plural for sushi?? err Jas if you read this, please confirm ya, am sure you are an expert in this. terima kasih). These were what we were having last Saturday (siap google tu nak carik nama dalam jepun). ahahahahha I forgot to take a photo of 1 plate (can't fight the hunger....so desperate!!).



(Click on the picture for bigger and clearer picture)

Aha... a little information about sushi. Do you know that sushi comes in many types? When I first saw this sushi, I was peculiar about the way it looks. My understanding of sushi was so limited, I thought sushi only looks like 'lemang' that is wrap with nori. So after my first attempt, I browse the internet to find any information about the type of sushi (ye, kalau bab makan laju jek buat research :p). Using my favorite and reliable online dictionary, answers.com, there are 7 types of sushi; nigirizushi, makizushi, oshizushi, inarizushi, chirashizushi, narezushi and the contemporary sushi called western sushi. So sushi that is wrap with nori (yang macam lemang tu) is called makizushi. Hanaichi mostly serve nigirizushi (or nigiri for short). And I loved nigiri (especially unagi nigiri). If you like to know more about sushi, click here.




We were like that minah salih, waiting for the right sushi to come infront of us. Eyes following the sushi on the conveyor belt (or sushi train, kaiten zushi in japanese). Note in the picture above, a menu. The price of a sushi are indicated by the color of the plate.


I was always seated infront of this sushi chef. And he is always helpful in answering our questions about the ingredients of the sushi.

We, " err, excuse me. what is this?" Chef, "crab stick"
Few minutes later, "helo, what about this?" Chef, " that's tempura, vegetable"
Later, while raising a plate of sushi, ".....this?" Chef, "unagi... grill eel"

ahahhahahahahha the point I want to raise here is, don't feel shy to ask. Kang termakan benda tak halal kang, sape nak jawab (btw kat sini takde jual daging tu, faham kan, cume ayam dan daging kat sini tak sembelih, dan sebab tu jugak la entry nie tak letak tag Halal food outlet, sbb takde certificate halal).

And for conclusion....


Hik

6 comments:

attyfir said...

look..very.nyammie..huhuhuh..so hungry..

Me, Mrs Taj said...

arghh tgk gambo sushi ni me pun teringin nk mkn sushi!!! my fav!!! akak, sedekah la kat sy sikit..

K Su said...

sushi.... bestnya...

jyss said...

hahha tinggi plates nampak :)

nope, no 's' for plural

puteri said...

babe,

i have always love sushi. back in 2000, my best friend introduced me to the sushi bar, which i have totally forgotten when i came back to brisbane. it was halida who took me to hanaichi and it brought back memories.

yes the sushi there is yummy and the sushi chef is also cute. hehheee... he is korean tho' and his name is chris :)

sabrina

fazid said...

kakty, memang sedap.

ms taj, i wish i could share them with you :D.

ahaks kak su, kak su kena paksa norris gi.

thanks for the info jas... no plural for sushi :D. tu dah kemaruk makan, makan smpi ke malam...ahahhahah..puasa dinner aritu :p

babe, he's not japanese?! but he speaks like one. am missing halida too :D