Are you looking for specific information such as Halal food in Brisbane, where to shop until you drop, and cooking ala Brisbane, key-in any word that you think relevant in the search box:

Friday, March 19, 2010

the Roti Jala story

Friday is here again. And there goes another busy week. Loads of work waiting for next week. But tomorrow, I will leave my machines to rest, and allow my brain to relax. It is time to spend time with the kids and atang. How busy I am, and how tight the schedule is, and how close the datelines are, I should not take things for granted. Forget all the kelam-kabut-ness during weekdays. Forget all the running against time. Leave all the stress behind, and have a good laugh with the family. After all it is just for a day and a half kan (I start working on Sunday night).

My break started with making roti jala and pizza for our dinner tonight. Can't exactly remember when was the last time I made roti jala, but I am sure it was more than a year ago, before we went back for raya in 2008. I remember I made many roti jala to give to some friends for breaking fast that year. I started experimenting roti jala after a good friend sent a container full of roti jala, and chicken curry to celebrate first day of Ramadhan the first year we arrived in Brisbane. Fuuhhh masa tu rasa happy sungguh bila dapat roti jala tu. Months and months after that, I told my mom how I wanted to make some roti jala, and asked her to buy a roti jala mold back home and mail it along with the recipe. And one day the mold arrived, together with other provision, and the mold was not like the common roti jala mold you see at home. This one is not made of plastic. And it doesn't have holes at the bottom. This one is made of steel, with spouts at the side, kinda like the watering can. It was Mak's roti jala mold. Mak's mold was custom-made, and she had it since....since I was a teenager, but she has never make us roti jala, ahahahha. Kiranya I was the first one who used it. Hey who knows, maybe Mak bought it years ago, for my use. hehehe...Ok jugak guna mold nie. Instead of holding like the common roti jala mold at the bream, this mold requires you to hold it by the handle, and slowly tipping the mold, to pour the batter.

Actually, I had hands on experience watching my MIL making roti jala before we came to Brisbane. At my MIL house, roti jala is consider the occasion food, and normally MIL will prepare by request, especially from my BIL, atang's little brother. Thus, eventhough I have never made one, I have observed the process kan. So kinda immitate la how my MIL prepares her roti jala. Susah jugak guna mold nie, because the batter will get stuck easily at the spout. When it got stuck, you have to wash it under the running hot water. So, when we went home to celebrate eid last year, I bought the plastic mold.



Today is the first time I used the plastic mold. Kira perasmian la nie. Senang sikit nak guna, ringan, but still the batter easily get stuck. But I guess it is normal. Apa-apa pun our dinner today is eh...was roti jala and a few pizza. Cooking is fun nowadays because now I have a helper, an entertainer and of coz the eater...wakakakakkaka...



Yaya preparing the pizza, adik is entertaining us at the side, while atang at his laptop waiting for the dinner to be ready.



I bought the mini pizza base. Always have pepperoni, mozarella cheese, pizza sauce and mushrooms in the can at home. For under 30 minutes, you can have pizza for dinner.

And today's highlight...hehhehe





Sume dah kenyang, mata pun dah berat. Guess I will do a light task tonite, that is to run simple stats before call it a day. So, enjoy your weekend ya. We are taking the kids to the Movie World again tomorrow. Our passes ended this June, so apa lagi nak buat, visits all the theme park la until the passes expire.

yours truly,

2 comments:

i.s.z.a.n said...

aku suka roti jalaaaaaaaaa, nape semorg dok obersea tayang roti jala ni?
Gila oldschool gadget ko utk wat roti jala babe ngeeee

fazid said...

mmg old school babe...mak aku nye..sikit ari bleh jadik vintage...ahahhahaha

agaknye la nie musim roti jala kot :D