Are you looking for specific information such as Halal food in Brisbane, where to shop until you drop, and cooking ala Brisbane, key-in any word that you think relevant in the search box:

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cerita Ceriti : Gelagat 4 The Morning Rush

I am currently futhering my study at QUT. The university has 3 campuses, the main campus, where I am attach to, is called Garden Point (GP) campus. It is called GP because, it is situated nearby Brisbane Botanical Garden. It is a beautiful campus, but the campus is small due to limited space. In addition to that, it is located right in the city. Although I am attach to the GP campus, due to limited spaces, my office is located 2 blocks away from the GP, at a commercial building, rented by QUT. And that is where most of the research students are located too.

Getting to the office is not a problem. You can live at any suburb you like, and just take a bus to the city. I mainly take the bus to the office. I can also take a ferry, called CityCat (there was an entry about this along time ago) but since I have no more classes to attend at GP, I now take the bus to the office. Cab is possible, but here, it is way too expensive.

Rush hour is between 7.30 to 8.30. The distance between my house to the city is just 10 minutes driving. But during rush hour, it will take about 20 minutes to arrive at the city. FYI my office is a number of block away from the Queens St Mall, the shopping heaven/hang out for local and tourist. My bus will stop nearby that "longest mall" in Brisbane and I will pass by the mall, to get to the office. So every morning I observed many kind of characters during that wee hour.

Queenslands government offices are also situated, or rather scattered around the city. So during the morning hours, I called it "The Morning Rush", you can see men and women clad in dark suits, walking towards their offices. Some even join their friends at cafe, having their brekkie (that's OZ for breakfast). Some just have a quick stop to get a cuppa, and walk to their offices. Coffee shops, or cafes are just everywhere. At every block, every street, on both sides of street, or sometimes just two shops away from each other. Yes, Brissie are addicted to coffee, or should I say caffein. If they dont have coffee, they will have soft drinks instead.

You can also see a few people, jogging around the city. Not with dark suits though, but a complete jogging attire. I don't know whether they come early to the office everyday, and have a quick run before starting their day. But I assume some may do. Even my supervisor cycle almost every morning before he goes to work. Yes they are health conscious people. Futhermore, with the sun up as early as 6 am now, ones can have a quick jog, if they want too (but not for me :D).

I just need about 5 minutes walk (if I don't day dreaming while walking) or 8 upmost to reach the office. I walk about 2 minutes from home to the bus stop, so total walking distance is about 10 minutes (can somebody convert that to metres...hahahah). It helps burning some of the calorie everyday. So enough work-out for me. ;)

3 comments:

Liza said...

i plan to do some walking myself around my housing area before going to work...exercise ler konon, have to change lifestyle now kan?

Anonymous said...

hensem sungguh blog mu ini.... ^_^!

fazid said...

we need to start somewhere right. best of luck liza :D